chaplin

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Clap Your Hands

Tinariwen at the Barbican last night. Sat next to Robert Plant. (It's obligatory at gigs like this.) My son fascinated by the clapping which provides the percussion along with the single drum. It's incredibly spare but you only realise how perfect it is when the audience try to join in and get it wrong. He has an Arab friend who can clap in a way that Europeans can't. The hands remain cupped throughout and the sound produced is unusually loud. Anyway, extraordinary show and their record really is the most playable thing I've heard in ages.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:15 pm

    I'm amazed at how quickly this gig sold out. I'm not aware of them getting much publicity beyond Word, but when I made an enquiry for tickets I was too late. And I refuse to use e-bay for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're playing Shepherds Bush Empire on December 12th so you'd better get weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:55 am

    Interesting what you say about the clapping. I know a young lady who comes originally from Algeria, and she can clap in this way, with both hands cupped. The sound is amazingly loud...like a sort of hollow "bang" and is really impressive to hear. She certainly can turn heads when she claps in this way!!!

    ReplyDelete