chaplin

Thursday, December 13, 2007

The acceptable face of people who go "whoo!"

Tinariwen were sensational at Shepherd's Bush last night. Best dance band in the world.
Since I last saw them their backing singer Mina has left to have a baby and her replacement does everything apart from the distinctive shrill ululations that accompany the instrumental passages. For the first few numbers something was missing and then somebody in the audience took it upon themselves to supply them. It wasn't annoying at all. It was perfect.
I couldn't see who it was because I was upstairs occupying my favourite vantage point at any gig anywhere. Mark Ellen and I happened on this at a Lucinda Williams show some while ago and decided it was perfect. It's standing but leaning forward, allowing for occasional terpsichorean forays but with the solid guarantee that nobody can get in your sight lines.
Not telling you where it is, of course.

4 comments:

  1. On the subject of audience participation. I was watching the Led zep madison sq concert on the tv last night. While Zep were throwing shapes, moving and grooving the crowd were quiet placid, Do you have to jump around to show you've had a good time even to the most danceable music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tinariwen did a fantastic show in Dublin last Sunday night. Thanks to Word magazine for turning me onto them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet I know where *that* place is; we discovered it at a Stranglers gig before the weirdest after-show party, where self-assembly cheese rolls were served.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:31 pm

    I also now know of a 'must have' spot at Hammi Odeon - seated but perfect. Shep Bush Empire is my fave venue but the standing area doesn't slope well enough and it can be gruesome at the bar. In fact - why do I like it? Easy to park and to get home (I'm getting on, you see).

    ReplyDelete