chaplin

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Saturday Night Fever 2008

This is my new favourite time of week. We've lit a fire, opened a bottle of something cheering, there is a smell of cooking and somebody on the radio is burbling about today's football. I get up to pull the curtains. As I do I see people who are either setting off for an evening out or in that peculiar state of tension that seems to hang around couples arriving at neighbours houses clutching a bottle of wine and some flowers. As I close the curtains I am suffused with that sense of pure well-being that can only be truly experienced by the person secure in the knowledge that he is NOT GOING OUT.

8 comments:

  1. Oh so true David. As the father of a two-year-old it is some time since I went out on a Saturday night and my life has only improved for this. In fact, the odd time that I do go out for an evening I'm sure I enjoy it much more than in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er.....whilst you were inside, it's moved on to 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you 'pull' the curtains like me, not 'draw' them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but when asked to "draw" the curtains you can reply with "let me get a pencil" - which was funny when I was about 12.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pull the curtains 'to' is the phrase here. (Unless people mean pull the curtains 'two', ie both of them. No, it's the first one.) Anyway David have you got a nice little valve radio to listen to? As they sound, look and feel warm, one could fit right in to your favourite time.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't thought about the use of the word "draw". It must refer to those curtains which are closed by means of a draw-string.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it's not just me who gets this feeling. Spending time at home is something I have really come to appreciate, sitting there listening to music, watching TV, with a cat on my lap. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete