chaplin

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bet you can't do this

I miss twelve inch album covers. I miss the old plastic bags from Dobells in the Charing Cross Road. They had a photograph of a rack full of records. On the way home on the tube you could read the details on the spines and just wonder what it would be like to hold them. If somebody got on your carriage and they had a bag from Virgin or One Stop or even Boots you used to go and sit near them knowing that at some point in the journey they'd get their new purchase out and read the cover. (People do the same with CDs but it's nothing like as thrilling. They end up picking away at the security tag with their finger nails. They don't look like people seized with joy.) If they didn't actually get the LP out then people like me could sometimes look through the bag and work out what it was.


Anway, Fraser and I like to think we've come up with the Rock Quiz where you can't Google your way to the solution. Here are thirty fragments from the covers of pretty well-known - in some cases multi-platinum - albums montaged together. There's a larger version of it here on the Word site where you can also find your way to the solution.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I have a small record collection and I still gravitate to the LP's if I see them at flea markets and yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's the true test no one ever bought a cd for it's cover. I'm sure there are types who would say the musics the thing but they'd be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend who used to earn good money from being in a band and he said he regularly bought albums based purely on 'cool' album covers. Decedant no?

    I could get two from that image - 10 and 26, which is a terrible return.

    ReplyDelete