chaplin

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"Looking for business, darling?"

The day after Paul Raymond died it's good to be reminded that the old Soho still exists in pockets. This morning I went to interview Mike Leigh about his wonderful new film "Happy Go Lucky". Leigh is arguably Britain's foremost film director, a man who sits at the same table as Scorsese, Coppola and Almodovar when the great and the good gather.
I fancy if I went to interview any of those it would be in a loft overlooking some great river. To get to Leigh's office you had to go to the second floor of an address in Greek Street. On the first landing there actually was a handwritten notice announcing "French model".

5 comments:

  1. Did she have a large chest for sale, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And some small drawers?

    (I'm sorry. clair encouraged me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a proper directors office that is. I feel quite sad about Paul Raymond - a bit of an end of an era. I am glad to see Mike Leigh hasn't extended to the brass plate on the door yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:37 pm

    You've all got dirty minds.

    Could you pick me up a 1/16th scale Eiffel Tower?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete