Elsewhere, Spiral Frog has finally launched. Remember they talked about this as the salvation of the record business a couple of years ago? The idea is that you get the music for free but in return you have to watch a load of advertising. I'm not going to let the fact that I haven't used it stop me predicting that it won't work. For why?
- It's only on PCs. (Want to know why nobody's talking about the BBC's IPlayer?)
- You can't put the music on an iPod.
- You can't burn it on to a CD.
- If you don't return to the site and watch more advertising within 30 days, your music is locked up.
- You can't access it outside the USA and Canada.
- Any innovation which meets with the approval of the major labels is doomed by definition.
- I'm not even going to mention the name.