chaplin

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bill Wyman explains the Rolling Stones "wobble"

"Something happens when we play together. It's impossible to copy. Every band follow the drummer. We don't follow Charlie. Charlie follows Keith. So the drums are very slightly behind Keith. It's only fractional. Seconds. Minuscule. And I tend to play ahead. It's got a sort of wobble. It's dangerous because it can fall apart at any minute."
Bill Wyman talking in the second part of the Rolling Stones documentary, Crossfire Hurricane.

7 comments:

  1. Puzzled me too. Rhythm section where the drummer follows rhythm guitar? Silly and evidently untrue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not if the Riff comes first - I've been in plenty of bands where the rhythm was set by the guitarist. The Who worked that way pretty much too, although in that case it was because Moon's drums were pretty much a lead instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Bill explaining the very essence of swing; playing off the beat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my Uncle Bill depped for Wyman at Hull's ABC, Keith just told him to 'do everything I do.' I think it went well. He dined out on it for years, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the 'push and pull' that makes the greats well great

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe Mr Fleetwood and Mr Mac once expressed a similar modus operandi, one playing slightly behind the beat, the other in front. Seems to have worked for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a drummer and I always key off the rhythm guitarist..... the quote is slightly off...Wyman actually says "micro seconds" not "seconds"....

    ReplyDelete