chaplin

Friday, July 03, 2009

You can call me Al

There was an interesting exchange on the radio yesterday between Jack Straw and Ann Widdicombe about the rights and wrongs of releasing Ronnie Biggs. What made it interesting was that they were referring to each other as "Jack" and "Ann". This is the first time I've heard British political adversaries address each other in such familiar terms without one of them being at death's door. Perhaps they're both retiring at the next election. It was made even more unusual by the way they referred to the subject of their discussion as "Mr Biggs", which must be an indication of just how ill he is.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've heard opposing politicians call each other by this informal means before; often it's more when addressing a third party, like an audience or their mutual interviewer. "What Jack is saying, David, is total bollocks" - that kind of thing. I'd rather like Ann Widdecombe to say that, actually.

    ReplyDelete