chaplin

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Early morning music

This is the last Sunday morning when we'll wake up to sunshine, I suppose.
I find myself on the wavelength of John Martyn, or at least John Martyn in the mid-70s. I put on "Sunday's Child" with its wonderfully rounded version of the traditional song "Spencer The Rover", the man who had become "much reduced and caused great confusion" and as a consequence took to the roads.
Then I found this impeccable (apart from the wrong note in the introduction) performance from 1977.

4 comments:

  1. Follow this link to see a 'have a go hero' speeding and slapping his through another tune compose-ed by John Martyn


    “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bccqUrNVeXg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why no more morning sunshine? You relocating up North to the Arctic or something..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:29 pm

    Thanks for posting this. My favourite performance of my favourite JM song. I have the Live at the BBC CD which features this same performance and includes JM "toking up" and being flippant in the intro before settling into this mesmerising and moving performance - a perfect example of the juxtaposition of attitudes that has defined much of his career. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The BBC DVD is great, love the versions of 'Small Hours'on there. I just melt into the moment when starts those ghostly notes

    ReplyDelete