chaplin

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Give us a wave, love

I've blogged in the past about the occasions I found myself being waved at in a very personal way by both Bill Clinton and H.M. The Queen. Michelle Obama turned up to visit the secondary school round the corner from the office just now. A crowd of people gathered from Chapel Market. This is not a section of the public best known for its interest in the Special Relationship. All they wanted to do was catch a glimpse. But when the motorcade of identical black vehicles drew up their windows were all blacked-out, meaning not only did people not see anything, they couldn't even tell that they were waving at the right vehicle. People moved away with a peculiarly flat feeling.
If Her Maj can make herself visible to all the citizenry, gunmen and all, I don't see why the wife of the President can't do the same. After all, as Mick Jagger says, all you've got to do is give them a glimmer.

1 comment:

  1. When I watched the inauguration I felt a terrible fear that I was about to see a man killed - God knows the US has the resources in terms of nutters and guns. But Michelle Obama in Chapel Market? If she really is in that much danger, how in the name of all that is holy does she sleep? Under armed guard, I suppose. Mind you, would she trade places with Alan Shearer? I bloody wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete