chaplin

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Good news about the past, present and future of the Word podcast




For years now I've been hearing from people who say "where can I get all the long versions of the old Word podcasts?" Now, thanks to Chris Rand, you can. They're archived here.

Pick the bones out of that lot. And no, I'm afraid I don't know what was the number of the one where Andrew told the story of Van Morrison and the harmonica. You'll just have to take your dog for a very long walk.

Mark Ellen, Alex Gold and I keep the spirit of the old podcast going in our Word In Your Ear events, the recordings of which you can subscribe to for nothing at all here. These happen at the Islington, which is a great pub with a brilliant small concert room at the back which is ideal for putting on and recording these shows. Since we've been here we've hosted Danny Baker, Johnnie Walker, Ben Watt, Mark Billingham, Clare Grogan and many more.

We usually do these as audio/visual shows with the conversation steered by pictures on a screen and to help get the idea over we put some of them on You Tube. Our most recent one with the lovely Clare Grogan is here.

You can still get a ticket for our next one which is next Tuesday and features music writers Mick Wall and Peter Doggett.








9 comments:

  1. And great Podcasts they are too David. I often link them from my Blog. And I invariably nick your first question (What music did you listen to in your house when you were growing up?) when doing my own interviews: only because it's a very effective, yet simple, can opening device.

    BTW - loved the Forestry Commission uniform you wore when interviewing the adorable Clare Grogan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why you organise these events David as it can't be for the money and the economics of of podcasting I also can't fathom.

    However I appreciate that you do as I have enjoyed them enormously since the days of Word and they remain amongst my favourite listening. I was in the audience for your excellent excursion to Manchester for the Ellen's/Maconie cast and will be there again if you ever make it North again.

    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great podcasts - past, present and future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant news. I love these and now I might be able to narrow down the location of that harmonica story now I know it was Andrew(assuming Collins not Harrison?) who told it. Up there with Nick Lowe's Keith Richards anecdote for sheer joy of listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't help with Van's harmonica, but the Nick Lowe podcast was #168.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff David. I appreciate that these aren't a huge money spinner, but I'd like to put my appreciation of them on the record. I'm unlikely to be able to attend any of the recordings, but I've certainly paid good money for books that have been 'plugged' during the 'casts, which I'm sure is good for somebody!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having just decided a couple of weeks ago to go through all the back catalogue, I can confirm that Van Morrison's harmonica appears all the way back in #2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:30 pm

    Great news! Been looking for the complete podcasts for so long.

    Love the pods you've been doing with guests but would love more casts
    where you just shoot the shit over pop culture. That was what made the
    Word podcast so damn entertaining in the first place.

    Thanks for keeping the flame burning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And then there was that great one where you guys talked about the Beatles... now which one was that? :)

    ReplyDelete