chaplin

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I don't want to spoil the party so I'll go

It was the office party yesterday. It started with a very pleasant lunch. I left about four, exhausted by holding conversations at high volume and starting to feel the tell-tale effects of what an old colleague used to call "wine poisoning". I dozed on the bus home and was in bed before ten. Obviously the younger members of the firm were still partying at five this morning. This hasn't stopped them getting in for nine o'clock this morning, which is admirable.

Age is the dawning anticipation of consequences. At the age of 18 you're too focussed on the pleasure to think about the consequences. At my age you think of the consequences before you think of the pleasure. The minute you think about the consequences you leave, a decision you very rarely regret. If you're worried that you might not be able to exercise your judgement when the time comes then you order a cab to arrive at an appointed time. If you're paying for it yourself you take it.

You never regret it.

6 comments:

  1. I knew I was getting older when I left a night out earlier than everyone else, had a really enjoyable cup of tea when I got home and did not wonder what excitement Id missed. And the fact that I wasn't the subject of any gossip the next day was even better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just thankful there weren't cameraphones and facebook to record xmas parties when I was in my 20s

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't quite got to that point of control yet. Once I'm a few drinks in the resolve gets bounced, along with the best intentions.

    PS - that's one of my favourite Beatles tracks, it sounds like a template tune for most of The Coral's output..

    word veri = resting

    ReplyDelete
  4. My department's Xmas do was last Friday at a Mexican restaurant. When I left work at 6:00 that evening it was obvious to me that I wasn't going to make it.

    When I arrived home I didn't agonise over my decision or ruminate on what I might be missing out on. I was tired. My job absorbs most of my energy. I knew I was in the right place.

    I enjoy a night out on the town but as you get older you learn to pick your battles. That said, I'm mindful of the fact that there may come a time when there's nothing much to lose and you can forget about consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you get over FOMO - that's 'Fear Of Missing Out' - you're sorted. Mind you, as someone who only a few weeks ago vomited in a black cab after far too good a time, I don't think I'm quite there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever reached the point with an office "do" (retirement or whatever) where you wonder whether the guest of honour is "worth" having a hangover for?

    ReplyDelete