chaplin

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can you ever wear a sheepskin coat?

On cold days like today you realise that even your most Gore-Tex-lined Mulberry parka isn't quite enough to keep out the cold. It's on days like today that the GLW points out that we still have her father's old sheepskin coat in the wardrobe. I put it on and go out for a walk. I return with my idea of warmth redefined. A sheepskin coat provides a different kind of insulation. It makes you realise how cold you are in every part of your body not covered by the coat. Plus it has the built-in feature that all men have been looking for, pockets made to thrust your hands into. It makes me look at John Motson with a new respect. The problem of wearing a sheepskin coat, of course, is you become one of those men who wear sheepskin coats.

11 comments:

  1. Last year my mum was ill and I dropped everything to head down to South Wales to be with her and my dad. Everything happened so quickly that I didn't pack a coat. It was the middle of August after all. Except that some of the worst weather South Wales has seen in years happened in the following two weeks, floods and low temperatures. My dad is one of those men who wear sheepskin coats. And he has several. I had no choice but to borrow one.

    We didn't look good walking down the street together my dad and me in sheepskin coats. Matching. They always make me feel like Del Boy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you didn't bump into Dennis Waterman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to contemplate Nietzsche with a sheepskin coat on; however, if you survive, aren't you stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You ain't seen me, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. In extreme weather conditions – sod it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my youth, in my hometown of Winnipeg (known by me as "Winterpeg": current temperature 30 degrees below zero F), the policeman on the beat would wear a full-length BUFFALO skin coat. He couldn't run very fast after the Winterpeg criminal class, but it kept him alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you know why sheep always wear them in the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll need some brown tinted oblong Reactolites to go with it, Big Dave.

    I say, celebrate the look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was having my hair cut on Saturday morning when a chap in late middle age, wearing stonewashed jeans, a large gold identity bracelet, sovereign ring and the largest sheepskin coat I've seen for years (other than when they show Motson on the telly reporting from some windswept stadium). Can you guess which county I live in readers?

    I thought, there's something you don't see very often these days, perhaps the extreme weather have brought them out from the back of the wardrobe, although this bloke looked like it was his natural cold weather attire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Can you ever wear a sheepskin coat?" you ask.

    Well, only if it comes with a matching sheepskin thong!

    Have a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what happened to the Pet Shop Boys post?

    ReplyDelete