chaplin

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Every home should have one

Last week we visited the factory set up by designer and silversmith David Mellor in Hathersage.

I have come to the conclusion that I have no feeling for small delicate items like knives and forks. I do my best to inspect them politely but I'm yawning inside. I'm the same when I'm looking in a jewellers' window. It's speaking a language I can't begin to understand.

However, I was pleased to note that Mellor also designed big fat, useful things like traffic lights. I want one.

4 comments:

  1. So where does a well laid out magazine fall in your affections? Aren't these closer to the delicate turn of the heel of a knife handle than the filter sign for the M32?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on jewellers' windows, and indeed shops. I avoid shops full of tiny shiny near-identical things like the plague, they make me feel like Gulliver in Lilliput, very neurosis-inducing. Knives and forks, on the other hand, strangely interest me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mellor cutlery is wonderful you should work up an appreciation. Try the cheapest "cafe" range for starters - just wonderfully balanced compared to non-designer equipment.

    But I do like the traffic light too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sven Ellis4:57 pm

    I don't often wear earrings, but cullery is design I use every day. When I eat by myself, I use the remnants of my DM Chinese Black set, which is lovely to use. They've just started remaking it, but it doesn't enjoy pan-household approval, so I doubt I'll be allowed any replacements. The shop (just off Sloane Sq) is a great source of gifts for the kitchen-inclined, full of beautiful things at fanciful mark-ups sold by alice-banded young women.





    http://www.davidmellordesign.com/ourShops.php

    ReplyDelete