chaplin

Thursday, July 17, 2008

In the White Room

Went to the PPA Chairman's reception last night on the way home. They have it every year just before everyone goes away to their huge holiday homes on the Algarve. It's worth calling in on because it's one of those rare occasions where you can guarantee all the senior industry people will be there, swilling white wine and talking slightly too loudly in the very echoey Palm Court of the Waldorf.

The Economist's Helen Alexander finished her year as PPA Chair by pointing out that the magazine business could do more about diversity. It was a point well-made. From where she was standing she may have been able to see a non-white face. I couldn't see any at all.

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea what the PPA is.

    Looking at their website, I still don't.

    Something to do with publishing, obviously, but I can't see 'PPA' written out in full anywhere.

    Publishers something Association I suppose.

    TTFN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:50 pm

    I am sitting in the offices of a large publishing company as I write this. Ten non-white faces, none at any kind of senior level at a guess?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:02 pm

    You are Harriet Harman and I claim my five pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:18 pm

    Periodical Publishers' Association

    ReplyDelete