Search This Blog


Saturday, February 16, 2008

She's a laugh

After experiencing that unique tristesse that I imagine follows a stand-up show that goes over just marginally less than socko, blogger Clair Woodward, whose musings I cannot recommend too highly, concludes that the game isn't worth the candle. She reckons:
"So as a woman on the box, you can either be funny, or sexy, but not both, right?"
As evidence to the contrary I would beg to offer Julia Louis Dreyfus, who played Elaine in "Seinfeld". As actresses go she's pretty without being va-va-voom - but that doesn't matter. The charisma comes off her in waves and with it comes the quality that so often follows. I could watch her for days.

The show exploits it brilliantly because every now and then she does something to make the three men in the cast stop treating her like a friend. Believe me, it doesn't take much.